- Cockroaches are nocturnal insects which active at night.
- Their body is flattened dorsal-ventrally.
- They have two pairs of wings folded flat over the dorsal.
- Most species rarely fly but they walk very fast.
- Their color usually varies from light brown to black.
- The species vary from 2– 3mm to over 80mm in length.
- Prefer to have their body touching on a surface when resting or foraging
|American Cockroach||German Cockroach||Brown banded Cockroach|
|Appearance||Shiny reddish to chocolate brown||Light yellowish-brown||Yellow & brown bands across the body|
|Behavior||In the nymphal stage, they are wingless and not capable to fly. Adults have useful wings and can fly for short distances. If they start from a high place, such as a tree, they can glide for some distance. However, despite their ability to glide, they are not regular fliers. They can run very fast.||The female usually carries the egg case before egg hatched||Mini scavengers that will eat almost all organics matters, including bodily fluids and decaying matter.|
|Habitat||Sewer tanks, drainage area||They prefer to live in warm and humid places which are close to food and moisture sources. They usually reside in a residential and commercial kitchen as well as places like bathrooms.||They live inside buildings, feeding on food and household items. They don’t require as much moisture as other roaches, so they tend to live in drier places, such as bedrooms and living areas. They avoid water and prefer high locations like the upper cabinets in the kitchen or bathrooms.|
|Information||The egg case measures 8–10mm in length and contains 16 eggs|| ||The egg case is 4-5mm in length and contains about 16 eggs.|
- Undergo incomplete metamorphosis
- Egg -> Nymph -> Adult
- Newly emerged nymphs look similar to miniature adults, which is wingless, and have undeveloped sexual organs.
- Nymphs will undergo moulting several times before becoming adults.
- No. of moults and development period varies among species.
- Males reached maturity faster.
Approaches to control them
- Insecticide residual spraying
- Gel baiting
Fun facts about Cockroaches
- People who fear about cockroach – Katsaridaphobia
- Madagascar hissing cockroach can be kept as a pet.
- Omnivorous – cockroaches feed on any kind of food available
- Cockroaches can survive with depletion of food & water for at least 2 week
Having cockroach problems at your place? Get rid of cockroaches with our effective pest control treatments & solutions. Contact System Pest Control Services for professional pest control services.
Ant 蚂蚁 | Bedbug 臭虫 | Bees, Wasps & Hornets 蜜蜂, 黄蜂 | Fly 苍蝇 | Flea 跳蚤 | Mosquito 蚊子 | Moth 蛾 |
Rodent 鼠类 | Silverfish 蠹虫 | Spider 蜘蛛 | Termite 白蚁 | Tick 虱 | Woodborer 木蛀虫