2. Workers can be monomorphic or dimorphic depends on species.
3. Able to budding in some species - Movement of one to several queens with some workers carrying immatures to establish a new colony. Very common in household ants. Queens are not needed to start new colony; larvae can be turned into queens through special feedings.
Common Ant Species
1.3 - 1.5 mm Long
1.5 - 2mm Long
7 - 8mm Long
Dark head and thorax, translucent gaster and legs, emit a rotten smell when crushed. Monomorphic worker.
Dark brown to black; long-legged. Body with long and coarse hairs. Monomorphic worker.
Yellow-brown, black eyes with two small segments at the pedicel. Multiple queens co-exist in a colony.
Queen is green or light yellow, while the king is black. Dimorphic workers. 1 queen per colony.
Mostly General feeder but some prefer sugar-based food.
Sugar and Protein-based.
Normally eat tiny insects and show a preference towards nectar/sugary solution.
Outdoor species, but can nest indoor if the moisture level is high.
Outdoor species, but forage indoor.
Usually nest on trees; one colony may consist of several satellite nests containing eggs at several locations in one tree, or on several trees.
They create a nuisance to people but they do not bite/sting.
They move in erratic ways when being disturbed
They often damaged and penetrate the materials such as plastics bags by chewing using their strong mandibles. More prone to carry pathogens when they feed in unhygienic places. The budding process will be triggered when pyrethroid insecticide introduced.
It will bite when disturbed but do not sting
Signs of Infestation
- Live Foraging ants in unconventional places, for eg: bedroom, bathroom & etc.
- Active ant trails.
- Ant nests/mounds which usually look like a small pile of soil or dirt that could be found indoor or outdoor.
- Insecticide residual spraying.
- Gel baiting.
Having ants problems at your place? Get rid of ants with our effective pest control treatments & solutions. Contact System Pest Control Services for professional pest control services.